Is there anything I do to prepare for my lessons?
- Fly a trainer kite and watch a good training DVD, like Progression, to learn which kite skills to practice and how to correctly practice them.
- Strengthen your core, kiteboarding doesn’t require a lot of muscles but having a strong core can help
- Aerobic training can help as when learning you are doing a lot of walking back up the beach to start your next run
What sort of physical shape do I need to be in?
- You should be in relatively good shape before taking kiteboarding lessons but you don’t need to have a ton of muscle, kiteboarding is mostly about technique. Being a good swimmer and comfortable in the water can be important, too.
Is it hard to learn how to kite?
- It isn’t hard to learn but it does take a commitment of at least a few days
I am a windsurfer, will it be easy for me?
- There are many plusses about windsurfing that will help you such as: you already have good balance on a board, have used a harness, and understand the wind, so learning to kiteboard can be easier than for students without those skills. However, there are some handicaps as well as some ingrained and instinctual windsurfing techniques that are different
Do I need any special skills to become a kiteboarder?
- Students with prior experience in board sports such as wakeboarding, surfing, waterskiing, windsurfing, and snowboarding tend to learn the fastest. But, the best skills one can possess are good hand-eye coordination, good listening skills, and comfort level in the waterHow long does it take to learn to kite board?
Will I be riding the board on the first day?
- Our Aqua Sports Team is trained extensively on how reduce the frustration level of learning kitesurfing and to accelerate the learning curve. With our expert guidance, you will learn as fast and efficiently as possible to become a safe and independent kiteboarder.
- While some student will get to ride the board on the first day, most are ready to get up on the board on the second day, (or hour 4). For this reason we offer a 4,5 or 6 hour 1 day course for those who only have 1 day to learn. You must have stamina for this class though, as most people start getting tired after about 3 hours.
Do you offer group lessons?
- We offer semi private lesson for family and friends that want to learn together at a reduced rate, keep in mind that in a semi private lesson you will learn at a slightly slower rate as on Maui, only 1 person is allowed in the water at a time
How safe is kiteboarding ?
- Kiteboarding is considered an extreme sport and your safety is our primary objective.
- In the beginning not enough was known so safety was a big issue and some accidents occurred that gave kiteboarding a bad rep. Many safety advances have been made since the sports start and it is much safer today.
- We will teach you how to take care of yourself on and off the water and how to greatly reduce any danger.
- We will also work with help you to assess your limits, choose the correct gear for the conditions, understand weather, control your kite, self-rescue techniques as well as many other skills to keep you as safe as possible
What is the best season for kiteboarding on Maui?
- Kiteboarding is possible year round on Maui with June, July and August typically our best months for wind, (about a 98% chance of good conditions, next is April May June and Sept and October with about 75% chance of good kiting conditions, then the winter months with about a 50% chance of good conditions.
How much does kiteboarding equipment cost?
- New gear can be expensive with boards going from $500 to $1000 and kites, with bar, $800 to $1800
- Used gear costs roughly half the price of new equipment.
What certifications and insurance does Aqua Sports have?
- Aqua Sports Maui is fully insured and carries a general liability insurance policy
- Aqua Sports is fully permitted by the County of Maui CORA as required by law
- Aqua Sports Maui is a member of good standing with MKA, that hold the waiver from the FAA to teach kiteboarding at Kite Beach Maui
What certifications do Aqua Sports instructors have?
- Aqua Sports Maui hires only professional, vetted instructors, certified to the highest standards
- Aqua Sports Maui instructors must be IKO/PASA, and USKITERs certified
- Aqua Sports Maui instructors must hold current CPR and first aid certification
- Aqua Sports Maui instructors must pass rigorous tests and training designed by Aqua Sports to produce the most patient, safety conscious professional instructors in the world
What should I look for to find the best school?
- Is the school certified, licensed, insured and meet all required government approvals and guidelines?
- Is the company reviewed well on social media? Check Trip Advisor and Yelp for reviews.
- What is the reputation of the school and its instructors at the local kiteboarding beach? Go down to Kite Beach and ask the locals.
- How long have the instructors have been working for the company? A good company will keep the best instructors for the long term.
- Does the company offer a satisfaction guarantee?
What sets Aqua Sports Maui apart from other Maui kiteboarding schools?
- Our instructors are our best asset, we believe that we have put together the best team of kiteboarding instructors on the planet. Our standards are very high and strict, only the very best survive!
- Our guarantee: If you aren’t happy we will refund your money.
- Our instructors do not get paid if a customer is dissatisfied so they are very motivated to make your experience awesome!
- We are constantly refining, improving and honing our teaching skills with ongoing clinics and lesson auditing to bring you the best and most productive cutting edge teaching techniques
- The latest and best equipment; each instructor gets to pick what gear he wants to teach on, not like other schools that have to teach only on certain gear that the company gets at a cheap price
- Did I mention our awesome, stoke and amazing instructors?
Please feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have, we are looking forward to meeting you and helping you learn this awesome sport!